If you are using the Mobile Network in your Smartphone or Tablet devices, you may notice the Signal in the notification bar with the symbol E or H or H+ beside an up and down arrow.
Some devices shows these symbol with constant character, some device signal fluctuates from E to H, E to H+, H+ to H, etc.., depends on the carrier and signal strength or depending on the usage of the device such as idle or less data consumption.
Did you know what all these symbols specify ?
The meaning for the symbols in mobile networks are
- G – GPRS (2G) ————- > 56 – 114 Kbps
- E – Edge (2.5G) ————> 128 – 384 Kbps
- 3G – UMTS ————– > 144 Kbps – 2 Mbps
- H – HSPA (3.5G) ———–> 1.2 – 14 Mbps
- H+ – HSPA+ (4G) ————> 21 – 42 Mbps
GPRS - General packet radio service
UMTS – Universal Mobile Telecommunications Service
HSPA – High Speed Packet Access
HSPA+ – Evolved High-Speed Packet Access